"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Books Into Movies and Question of the Day

I was visiting April's blog, Cafe of Dreams - Book Reviews this morning and commented on her Question of the Day:  Do you read the book before seeing the movie or vica versa? If you see the movie before you have read the book, will you go and read the book?  My commentary went on for three paragraphs at which point I thought, I have something to say here and perhaps I should put it in a post.


Typically I prefer to read the book first, then go see the movie version, rather like the chicken before the egg. There have been occasions where I have seen the movie, discovered it originated from a book, and just HAD to read the book, especially if I loved the movie!!  Case in point, I absolutely adore the movie Under the Tuscan Sun and for quite a while now I have been looking to purchase a copy of the book of the same title authored by Frances Mayes. (I can hear you saying, Amazon, am I right?)





There has been only one occasion when I saw a movie, loved it, read the book and preferred the movie. That was Julie and Julia. The movie is fun, upbeat, and enchanting while the book is not. (You can read my review of Julie and Julia the novel here on my blog.





Of course, there are books that I loved and HAD to see them when they came out in the theatres (ie Harry Potter, Twilight) or on DVD (Message in a Bottle, Notebook, Gone With the Wind) as the case may be. It's all good but really I prefer to read the book first.




What about you?  Do you prefer to read the book first?  If you see the movie version first, will you read the book afterwards?  How much more likely are you to read the book after seeing the movie?  How much more likely are you to go to the movie after reading the book?

Stalk Hop Friday

I'm joining Mrs. Marine for Stalk Hop Friday and Crazy for Books for Book Blogger Hop.

"If you find a book that you love, do you hunt down other books by the same author?"

In some cases I have.  I have some favourite authors whose books I cannot pass up and have gone to stores and libraries looking specifically for their books.  Those authors include but are not limited to:  John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Carolyn Hart, Agatha Christie, Sophie Kinsella, Danielle Steel, Nancy Fairbanks, Stephen King, Michael Crichton and more.  

How about you?  Have you ever gone in a store looking for books by a specific author?  Have you ever left empty-handed because you couldn't find any?

16 comments:

  1. Coming through on the blog hop. I like Sophie Kinsella and Agatha Christie specially from your list.

    Under the Tuscan Sun - I found both the book and movie very good but for Julia and Julia I preferred the movie to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read most of those authors, but I have read a few from Nicholas Sparks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. With Harry Potter, I wanted to wait until all the books came out before I saw the movies. I know that was a long wait but when I saw Deathly Hallows part 1 last year, it was amazing. I watched all the movies on ABC family as a marathon (except the 3rd and the 6th) and when Part 2 comes out, I'll definitely watch them all together. It was well worth the wait.

    Most other adaptations don't wow me though. I almost always think the book is better except with the Narnia movies, they fleshed out the characters a bit and gave it some depth that the book seemed to lack for me.

    I'm a new follower, I look forward to reading your blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old Follower and Im definitely a book and author stalker :)

    Top Five Played Songs on my IPOD would Be :
    1) Crazy Frog Goes to India - Crazy Frog
    2) Peacock - Katy Perry
    3) Monster High Fright Song - Monster High
    4)Britannia High MegaMix - Britannia High
    5)Thug Story- Taylor Swift and T-Pain

    http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com/2011/04/were-doing-book-blogger-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the Julie and Julia book yet but it is sitting on my bookcase. I LOVE the film and have been put off reading the book by other people saying something similar and preferring the film

    I'm a new follower! :D

    Jules

    http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Just hopping by and following through. I tend to get a bit obsessed when I find an author I like


    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower saying hi! I get obsessed and check out everything an author has written I don't want to miss out on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New follower here. Great blog. Come on over to mine at http://kkbparadise.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following from the Stalk Hop :D

    http://opalstevens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI! I'm your newest follower. Thanks for stopping in on the blog. I normally don't like book that are turned into movies. Jurassic Park is an exception to that rule and so is Eat Love Pray.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    Talina
    www.bookinitreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Im the same when I see a book by one of my favorite author, just to see if anything new came out that I missed. I dont think ive ever left a bookstore empty handed

    ReplyDelete
  12. After a lot of flip flopping, I ultimately decided awhile ago that I prefer to see the movie first. I get very annoyed if I love the book and notice a ton of things missing, so if I have the option to movie first, I'll do that every time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard good things about Julie Julia the film and wasn't aware of the book. I thin k I'll stick with the film if I get a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Howdy! Found you via the Hop and am now your newest follower!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Janna
    Primo Reads

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer to read the book first. But sometimes, like you, I watch the movie first by accident because I haven't heard of the book. Believe it or not, this happened with Twilight. I watched the movie, then I went right away and bought all the books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. I am a big read first, movie second person. :) Im following you back. Take care

    Jeanna

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...