"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Stranger's Choice 4/26/11

This is the second edition of A Stranger's Choice here on My Bookshelf.  It is an idea of mine which allows me and you to discover what others are reading and to find new exciting reads.  By others I mean the local public.  It is also an instrument in allowing me to push myself beyond my comfort zone.  See my original post here.  It's been a while in the making as I just haven't been out among readers other than bookclub lately.  But today was different!

Today I sat in the food court of a local mall (see a similar theme here...food...books ;)) and I was reading Secret Daughter and minding my own business, kind of, when another lady sat at the table next to mine, unwrapped a delicious looking sandwich and turned to her marked page in her book.  At first I wondered what she was reading but did nothing.  I am seriously enjoying my own book so I carry on.  Besides, she has a mouthful of her sandwich.  It would be plain rude to strike up a conversation now, right?

I accomplished a bit more in my book and looked over marvelling at how fast a reader she was.  Ok, she was still eating, so again I did not butt in.  1:30 came and I needed to pack things up for an appointment.  Having prepared myself accordingly, I gazed in her direction and saw she was about to finish a chapter and the sandwich was gone.  Now's my chance.

"I couldn't help noticing what a fast reader you are,"  I said.  Lame, right!  So quickly I added, "How are you enjoying your book?"

Odd icebreaker that it was, she was more than happy to talk about her book, A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French.  She said it only appeared that she was a fast reader because the pages are double spaced.  Each chapter is about a different character in the book.  (Something that several authors do such as Maeve Binchy, Mary Higgins Clark and the author of my current read, Shilpi Somaya Gowda.)  She received the book from her sister in Ireland.  Perhaps it's not available here?  Published by Penguin Books.  (I made a mental note to check the bookstore).  Her sister used to work with a publishing house in advertising and often gave her books.  Lucky girl!!!  She was enjoying the book well enough and we chatted a few moments longer until I really had to leave.

Walkiing down the mall, I spotted a bookstore and sure enough, there were two copies of A Tiny Bit Marvellous.  Here's a bit more about this book.  See if it whets your appetite.

"Everyone hates the perfect family. So you'll love the Battles."  (How's that for a catch line?)

"A TINY BIT MARVELLOUS by Dawn French is the story of a modern family all living in their own separate bubbles lurching towards meltdown. It is for anyone who has ever shared a home with that weird group of strangers we call relations.  Mo is about to hit the big 50, and some uncomfortable truths are becoming quite apparent: She doesn't understand either of her teenage kids, which as a child psychologist, is fairly embarrassing. She has become entirely grey. Inside, and out. Her face has surrendered and is frightening children.  Dora is about to hit the big 18 . . . and about to hit anyone who annoys her, especially her precocious younger brother Peter who has a chronic Oscar Wilde fixation.  Then there's Dad . . . who's just, well, dad.  Oh and there's a dog. Called Poo."


Are you loving it yet?  How about a trailer (turn up the volume for this one):




In case you may think I've lost my touch...not to disappoint...Of course I had to peruse all the bookshelves and the display tables. ;)  I chanced upon Red Riding Hood and had to skip to the back of the book to see what all the fuss was about after reading a recent book blogger review.  Did you know the book is incomplete?  In place of the final chapter, one finds a note sending the reader to the website for the rest of the story!  Of all the cliffhangers!!  Have you ever seen such a thing?  I may just have to buy a copy of this one  yet.  It has intrigued me!

Have you read any of the three books mentioned here?  If so, what is your opinion of them?

Until next time, do talk to strangers! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Dawn French is quite a character. I watched a couple of her videos on YouTube and had a good chuckle!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...