"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Monday, September 5, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 9/6/2011


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme hosted by Miz B of Should Be Reading.  Here book bloggers share a tease of a couple sentences from their current read(s), promoting the book(s).  Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Little Princes
by Conor Grennan


"I imagined my mom at the airport, saying good-bye to me each time I returned to Prague after spending Christmas in America.  She would cry into my shoulder, sobbing like I was right now.  I had always wondered where that sadness came from; leaving had never seemed like a big deal to me.  And now here it was, that same desperate sadness, filling this very room." ~ page 54, Little Princes by Conor Grennan.

Since seeing the interview with the author, Conor Grennan, on the Nate Berkus show, amidst such praise as "I stayed up all night to read this book" (paraphrasing Nate Berkus as he raved of Little Princes), I have wanted desperately to read this book.  Now I have barely begun and I am hooked!  The moment I quoted from the book is the point in time that Conor Grennan knows he must leave the children of the orphanage in Nepal, after being there for three months.  He must be vague with them about a possible return, as most volunteers don't return, but as he prepares to go, he knows he cannot bear to make this goodbye forever.  He knows he will return...soon.  And that is the rest of the story.  54 pages in and I am taken with this biography of a young man, who initially goes to Nepal not selflessly, and emerges an entirely different person.  I can't wait to read more of this book!

The First Gardener
by Denise Hildreth Jones

"If I had a way to know what this day gon' hold, I woulda buried my face in the dirt and not come up 'til God done changed his mind.  I woulda torn my clothes like them ol' prophets in the Good Book, not eat one bite a food all day and just keep begin' the Lord to change his mind.

I would done anything -- but don't know if it woulda worked.  I'm thinking' God got his mind set.  And I don't know why.  Just don't know why.  Alls I know is...it is.  And it was.  And it gon' be.  And we still here.  And we all wishing' we aint." ~ page 112, The First Gardener by Denise Hildreth Jones.

This quote is from the perspective of the gardener, Jeremiah, of the governor's mansion in Nashville, Tennessee.  It directly precedes the chapter of change...dramatic change...for the family currently living in the mansion.  A family bound by so much love and happiness...all about to be torn asunder.  I couldn't believe it when I read of it.  My heart aches for them as if they were real people and the author certainly does make them seem genuine.  I am loving this book!

Starcrossed
by Josephine Angelini

"They both hated that part of the ferry, but Helen was particularly sensitive about it; it reminded her of this creepy guy that had followed her around one summer, until the day he just disappeared off the ferry.  Instead of feeling relieved when she realized he wasn't coming back, Helen felt that she had done something wrong.  She had never brought it up to Claire, but there had been a bright flash and a horrible smell of burnt hair."  ~ page 8, Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I am only on page 14, (today, September 3) as I started this book on my lunch break Friday, and I can't wait to read more!  Wouldn't a paragraph like this entice you?



I look forward to reading your teasers!  Please share a link in the comments so I can get a tease of what's currently holding  your attention, in the book category, of course! Happy Reading!




12 comments:

  1. Wow. All your teasers are amazing and different.

    If you have a chance, please give my TT a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 awesome teasers... really liked the first one... it is so sad yet so relatable... nice. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful teasers!!

    Thanks for checking out my Teaser Tuesday. Happy Reading! Jen @ A Reader's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice teasers! I have been meaning to read Little Princes and that quote from Starcrossed is very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    If you'd like, you can check out my teaser here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like some emotional reads going on. You can see my teaser here:
    http://myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com/2011/09/teaser-tuesday-962011-betrayed-guardian.html
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking into reading starcrossed thanks for the teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice variety of teasers. I am familiar with all three books. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Starcrossed, you picked a great teaser. And the Little Princes teaser was so sad! Thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for stopping by The Bookish Babes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to read Little Princes. Hope you are liking it.

    Loving the variety!

    Black Disaster Fairy



    A World of Personality

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teasers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! You're also part of this meme. We're thinking of joining this one as well. Great teasers. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...