"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh, the Places You'll Go...



"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on this day, March 2, in 1904.  

Ted, Dr. Seuss, died September 24, 1991.  He had written and illustrated 44 children's books, which were translated into over 15 languages, and over 200 million copies had been sold.  

Seuss was Theodor Geisel's middle name and his mother's maiden name.  He chose to use it while writing for a university paper, since he had gotten into a bit of trouble having a party during the time of prohibition, so he used a pseudonym.  The "Dr." reportedly came from his father's desire to see his son earn a doctorate.

Dr. Seuss was one of my very favourites to read with my children when they were little.  I am sure a lot of you could say the same or have fond memories of being read to and reading Dr. Seuss books.  I asked two of my grown children which books of Dr. Seuss' are their favourites, their response was Green Eggs and Ham (they love the rhyming "Sam, I am")  and The Cat in the Hat.  My favourites are The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, which was written as a result of the author's concern that Christmas was becoming too commercialized, and Green Eggs and Ham.  I don't know if I have even read all Dr. Seuss' books but while the kids were growing up, we had a small collection of hard cover Dr. Seuss books.  Which are your favourite?

By chance, have you read The Bippolo Seed?  The Bippolo Seed is a collection of seven stories in one volume.  These stories had not here-to-fore been made public, and were published in this one volume September 2011.

Did you know there is a Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden in Springfield Massachusetts, the city where Theodor Seuss Geisel was born?

And when you have a moment to read "10 Things You Didn't Know About Dr. Seuss" for more investing tidbits about this beloved author, check out the link here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...