"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Sunday, March 25, 2012

In My Mailbox (March 26, 2012)



In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren. Each week participants share the books they've received in the mail, purchased or borrowed and link up with The Story Siren.  It's a terrific method of keeping track of our incoming books and finding among the participating blogs great new potential for our ever-growing wish lists.

In my mailbox this week, I received:


Butterfly's Child by Angela Davis-Gardner
I received a copy from TLC book tours.  My review is scheduled for April 25th, 2012

"When three-year-old Benji is plucked from the security of his home in Nagasaki to live with his American father, Lt. Benjamin Franklin Pinkerton, and stepmother, Kate, on their farm in Illinois, the family conceals Benji's true identity as a child born from a liaison between an officer and a geisha -- and instead telly everyone that he is an orphan.  When the truth surfaces, it will splinter this family's fragile dynamic and send Benji on the journey of a lifetime from Illinois to the Japanese settlements in Denver and San Francisco, then across the ocean to Nagasaki, where he will uncover the truth about his mother's tragic death."  (from the back cover)


The Healing by Jonathan Odell
I received a copy from the publisher Double Day, a division of Random House.  The review is yet to be scheduled.

"Plantation mistress Amanda Satterfield's grief over the loss of her daughter crosses the line into madness.  She takes a newborn slave child as her own and names her Granada.  Troubled by his wife's disturbing mental state and concerned about a mysterious plague sweeping through his slave population, Master Satterfield purchases Polly Shine, a slave-woman reputed to be a healer.  But Polly's sharp tongue and troubling predictions cause unrest across the plantation.  Complicating matters further, Polly recognizes "the gift" in Granada, the Mistress's pet, and a domestic battle of will ensues.

Rich in mood and atmosphere, The Healing is the kind of novel readers can't put down -- and can't wait to recommend once they've finished it." (from the back cover)

What's in your mailbox?




8 comments:

  1. Great Mailbox this week. Both books are new to me but I really like the cover of Butterfly's Child.
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Great mailbox! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of either of these novels (I tend to know more about YA books), but they have intriguing plots. I like how the Butterfly's Child has part of the novel set in Japan! Enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are two interesting boths (partly becuase I've never heard of them), but they sound like very touching reads! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them (especially The Butterfly Effect) Have fun reading!

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are two interesting boths (partly becuase I've never heard of them), but they sound like very touching reads! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them (especially The Butterfly Effect) Have fun reading!

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one looks really good. The book takes place during a time period that I haven't really read too much about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lillian, your IMM link is not working. Try again please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like some really good books! Hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...