"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: About a Girl by Lindsey Kelk


About a Girl
Author:  Lindsey Kelk
Published:  July 2013
Publisher:  Harper
Paperback:  416 pages
978-0007497980
Source:  ebook 

Author's website:  http://lindseykelk.com/books

I’d lost my job. I’d lost the love of my life. My mum wasn’t talking to me. My best friend was epically pissed off. And my flatmate probably had a hit out on me by now. I never meant for things to get so out of hand…


Tess Brookes has always been a Girl with a Plan. But when her carefully constructed Plan goes belly up, she’s forced to reconsider.



After accidently answering her flatmate Vanessa’s phone, she decides that since being Tess isn’t going so well, why shouldn’t she try out being Vanessa? With nothing left to lose, she accepts Vanessa’s photography assignment to Hawaii – she used to be an amateur snapper, how hard can it be? Right?



But Tess is soon in big trouble – she isn’t a photographer, she isn’t Vanessa, and the gorgeous journalist on the shoot with her, who is making it very clear he’d like to get into her pants, is an egotistical monster.



Far from home and in someone else’s shoes, Tess must decide whether to fight on through, or ‘fess up and run…

My Thoughts:

Tess Brookes has a dream job, two best friends (one of whom she is secretly in love with - Charlie), and life is going well.  Oh, and she has the worst roommate ever!

Then the worst week of her life happens and Tess makes a rash decision to pretend to be her roommate, take a photography job in Hawaii, and disappear from her life in London....a life that has been turned upside down.  In Hawaii she may find herself...she certainly finds a super hot guy....

I can't imagine doing what Tess did.  Tess used to be stable, even predictable but taking on Vanessa's persona gives her a bit of freedom to be someone else and to see another aspect of life.  She's fun and beautiful but not so sure she is either.  She is real and Nick likes all of that. But oh what a web Tess has woven for herself.  You can't help liking her though.  She is so down to earth, and lively, and she's taking chances some of us would only dream about.  Totally out of character, but then she's not Tess in Hawaii.  She can redefine herself....if she wants to.

If you like chick lit like Confessions of a Shopaholic but with a bit more language and certainly more love life, then you will have fun reading About a Girl.

The next in the series "What a Girl Wants" is expected out next summer.  (2014)









No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...