"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Pledge to Read.....

Another book challenge.  That's what I've signed up for.  With Savvy Reader I joined the 50 Book Pledge. 

 Welcome to the 50 Book Pledge. (In the words of Cory Beatty of Savvy Reader)
"The best part of the 50BookPledge is the discussion. That’s what we want. We want to know what you’re reading, what’s good, what we should immediately pick up and what book you couldn’t even finish–sorry, those don’t count. :)

We swear, no one who falls short of 50 will be flogged. Honest. Let’s be fair, for some people, reading 10 books a year would be a more meaningful accomplishment than someone who reads 100.No, reading is not a competitive sport. So why 50? Well, it sounds good, for one. Secondly, a book a week seems like a good pace for everyone–and having a two week grace period will come in handy next Fall.

But mostly it’s 50 because I suspect that most of you are like me, that the reason why you’ve signed on is not to hit an arbitrary number but because you sometimes have difficulty tuning out the noise of life and taking time for yourself. What we’re committing to is making reading a priority in 2011, and that is a very, very good thing. Take the “50” out of it if you want. This is a BookPledge. What you’re committing to is being in it with others like you, sharing your reading experiences and having a whole phalanx of backup there to remind you, when life’s stresses inevitably creep in, to take a timeout with a good book." - Cory Beatty (Savvy Reader)

A roundup discussion will take place every few weeks.  Therein all those readers will discuss what we're reading and our thoughts.  There are no restrictions as to genres, nor deadlines, nor giveaways at the end of it all.  It's purely reading for the joy of it and joining in discussions about that which we've read.

THAT’S what the 50BookPledge is about. Sounds like fun, reading for the pure love of it.  If you are interested in joining in, follow Cory (from Savvy Reader) on  Twitter @corybeatty.

4 comments:

  1. ~~I'm a new follower~~
    I like your blog, from what I've seen so far. Good luck with your goal of reading 50 books this year! I usually try to stretch myself to that number every year. And ever since I really started reading, I have accomplished that number each year. In 2010 I barely got there! Just 53 books.

    Blessings,
    ~ Tarissa
    http://inthebookcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fun Follow Friday! I am a follower! I hope you will stop by my blog and follow back!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for stoping by!

    Challenges are addicting!! Its hard to know where to stop with them lol. Good luck and I look forward to reading reviews :)

    <3 Patricia @ Patricia's Particularity

    P.S. New Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving the kind comment. Best of luck with your reader challenge. I'm inspired to join you! I (shyly) hope you consider putting THE VIOLETS OF MARCH on your list of to-reads this year! I would be so honored. Very best wishes to you! xo, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...